Expansion and Contraction

Meditation Log March 14, 2020:

I woke up from a dream last night in a state of disorientation.

I was aware of darkness and a feeling of discomfort. This state fully occupied my mind, perhaps in-between sleep and being fully awake. I later realized the discomfort was from a sore back, but in that moment the thought of having a body did not enter my mind.

I then heard a noise; a movement next to me. And a murmur; my one year old daughter. And in that moment my consciousness expanded to her, the knowledge of my wife next to her, my body and the room around us.

This change in awareness brought an immense feeling of relief and gratitude. My existence was not as limited as it had been a few moments ago. An ordinary moment, taken for granted every night, became exquisitely cathartic through a shift in perception.

In a few seconds the depth of emotion faded. My mind contracted again to its usual self. But now I know there is something worse. And something far more expansive that can be experienced in every ordinary moment.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The person that is me…

Darkness...

Shampoo...