The Thinker

Amidst the calm of meditation, thoughts emerge and subside. What is the origin of these reveries? If I am in control of my thoughts, why can’t I stop thinking?

"I am the thinker,” says a voice.

But the voice is recognised as just another thought. The "I" is self-referential.

“I, the thought, am the thinker,” admits the voice.

The thought and thinker cannot be truly separate! They arise entangled, in mutual dependence, neither possible as independent entities. In between thoughts, there is no thinker. And the thinker of one thought can seem quite different from another.

“You are neither the thought, nor the thinker,” concludes the final revelation.

What is left unsaid appears wordlessly; I am that in which the thought/thinker appears. So vast, such potential!

And yet even this space of knowing needs a known. Could it really exist on its own?

 

Photo created by anake – www.freepik.com

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The person that is me…

Darkness...

Shampoo...