The Divide

I see my reflection in the mirror.

The koan from last night’s meditation comes to mind. “Who am I?”

“That’s me in the mirror,” comes the immediate response.

But this answer seems hilariously insufficient. Does this face that I identify with so deeply, capture an iota of who I am?

I have an internal world that is irreducible from me.

The koan isn’t expected to invoke a rational response. But for an instant it shifts my perception.

The sense of having a face and a body implies an external world. Yet this external world too must be experienced within consciousness. So where does the inner world end and the outer one begin?

For a brief moment, the boundary between the two becomes permeable. It seems to be composed entirely of ephemeral sensations.

 

Photo from www.freepik.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The person that is me…

Darkness...

Shampoo...