Avert not thine Eyes...

I sit at the edge of my seat. Everyone just walks by, careful to look past me, trying to deny my existence in their world. Maybe they notice me but they just want to get off the bus first. A girl’s eyes meet mine. I get that feeling I always get when someone looks me in the eye. The search for something in my eyes…the questioning for something I don’t understand…and I find myself asking the same of her eyes even though I don’t know what it is. Her eyes affirm my existence, mine hers; our individual universes collapse into one…I feel her 'self'…I feel more aware of my 'self'. She stops for me. I smile my gratitude. She smiles back. I feel like I haven’t connected with a person more intensely the entire day. Our universes separate and I mumble thanks as I join the queue, my voice low to prevent me form encroaching upon the worlds of those that are trying to disregard my existence.

What do we see when we look into someone’s eyes? Why do we feel more aware of ourselves…of the person looking at us…why do our souls feel tangible?

I am starting a presentation. My heart isn’t beating as hard as it did the last time I did this. But then I see their eyes. I feel like I can read their souls. Their feelings are so obvious to me even though they are straining to seem like the perfect audience (it is after all a communication skills courses and they know they will be standing where I am). We all seem intimately connected. The sudden emergence of this sixth sense overwhelms my mind and I am blank. I blabber on what I etched onto my memory, but I cannot think. I can only feel. This heightened awareness…I feel closer to knowing the extent of what the self is…I feel closer to corroborating my own soul.

Comments

Albatross said…
so, basically a girl smiled at u. Good for you
Nabeel said…
No man. It's not about the smile...it's about eye contact. And it’s not about me being horny or deriving something like that from this thing.

I actually make too much eye contact I suppose because by default my eyes are angled towards that part of a person, rather than the shoes or right past their heads...that’s where I find most people looking.

Anyway I'm saying eye contact awakens something important in you...there's a heightened realization of your self as well as the other person and some kind of connection amongst us all. Notice the self written separately to emphasize the meanings here.

The eyes connect you in a way deeper than words. And the way people avert their eyes in an MRT or on a bus kind of shows another way that we are killing the experience of being alive and being human.

Popular posts from this blog

The person that is me…

Darkness...

Shampoo...