Heaven vs. Paradise...

Synonyms? I don’t think so. Heaven comes with an opposite; hell. Heaven comes with a price; the torture of the less pious amongst us. Heaven comes with some religion; some kind of dogma that must be followed to attain it. But paradise; that is a destination I lust for. And there is no shame in lusting for it either; no regret of ‘sins’, no betrayal of my less pious companions, just an idea that can make me smile, even though it is too utopian to firmly believe in, too ethereal to leave proof of its existence in this world.

But why would I deserve it, the pro-heaven proponents might ask. I don’t know really, but each one of us has an idea of our paradise. Each one of us has the urge to search for it, even though we do not really understand it, or even have complete faith in it. We see it as the place we could truly call home. And that might be enough to justify, that at the end of our journey, we all get there.

Comments

Nabeel said…
Well I was writing about heaven and paradise in the literal sense. As in life after death. According to religion what they are will probably not be in my control. And if I am in hell it will not be because I am conjuring it up myself.

But thats all according to a certain religion of which I am still marginally a believer in. Like this post and a few of the previous ones indicate I like to think that my life after death, considering there is one, will be influenced by myself. If I regret my life I will be lost...paradise will only come when I am at peace with myself.

I think you are saying that I should accept what I have right now and make it my paradise. This life can never truly be that unless I completely give up empathy for others...unless I close my eyes to a lot that is reality. That would be too selfish...creating paradise in this world is only something self indulgent kings have endeavored for.

Popular posts from this blog

The person that is me…

Darkness...

Shampoo...